1. Heilongjiang Province is _____ north of Liaoning. Harbin, its capital city, lies _____ the Songhuajiang River.
A. to; on B. in the; in C. 不填; on D. to the; in
2. To fully understand the writer, we must read not only between the lines, but sometimes _____ the lines.
A. within B. beyond C. beside D. among
3. He got to the station early, _____ missing his train.
A. in the case of B. instead of
C. for fear of D. in search of
4. Although Tom agreed with her on most points, here was one _____ which he was unwilling to give in.
A. on B. in C. to D. with
5. For holidays, many people visit the Great Barrier Reef _____ the northeast coast of Australia, which has 700 islands.
A. on B. in C. to D. off
6. As we all know, several primary schools and factories were named _____ the hero.
A. from B. at C. after D. to
7. _____ the weather, the athletic meeting will be held on time.
A. In contrast with B. In relation to
C. On behalf of D. Regardless of
8. Mr. Johnson starts to work very early in the morning and goes on working until late in the afternoon _____ a break at midday.
A. with B. for C. as D. through
9. --- Tang Gonghong is indeed too large, I think.
--- But _____ that she is an excellent weight-lifting athlete.
A. in addition to B. in spite of
C. thanks to D. owing to
10. I certainly agree _____ your suggestion. But I wonder if all the members of the board will agree _____ the steps for the coming year.
A. to; with B. to; on C. on; with D. on; on
11. Though this has been written _____ the agreement, it is not protected _____ law.
A. by; in B. in; with C. in; by D. by; with
12. The better use you can make _____ time, the greater contributions you will make _____ society.
A. in； to B. of； to C. on； for D. up； for
13. The child was lost in the forest, where he was _____ the mercy of wild beasts.
A. in B. on C. for D. at
14. ____ the English examination I would have gone to the concert last Sunday.
A. Instead of B. Because of
C. But for D. As for
15. _____ Mr. Brown’s anger, it was his own son who didn’t agree with him.
A. To B. From C. With D. For
16. The customer didn’t choose _____ of the ties and went away without looking at a third one.
A. both B. any C. all D. either
17. --- It was my daughter Linda and his daughter Jane who did it.
--- That was why I blamed you as much as _____.
A. he B. him C. his D. she
18. --- There must be a dozen pens in this house but I can never find one when I need one.
--- Keep looking. _____ is sure to turn up.
A. One B. It C. That D. This
19. --- Where can we have supper tonight?
--- Oh, if you don’t mind,we can do it at _____ of the restaurants.
A. all B. every C. any D. each
20. --- Which one can I take?
--- You can take _____ of them; I’ll keep none.
A. both B. any C. either D. all
21. To some life is pleasure, while to _____ it is suffering. But I don’t know what it is to me.
A. ones B. others C. the others D. those
22. I would appreciate _____ very much if you could give me some suggestions.
A. this B. that C. it D. you
23. I’ve just seen no more than one copy of “The Piano Teacher” in the bookshop opposite. Tom, go and buy _____ back.
A. one B. any C. it D. some
24. Use your head. Nothing taught by others can have the same effect on you as _____ is learned by yourself.
A. what B. those C. that D. the one
25. You mustn’t always do _____ as he asks you to do. You should have your own way of life.
A. anything B. something C. nothing D. everything
26. The fellow was said to be _____ of a scholar. As _____ turned out, he was a cheat.
A. something; he B. much; he
C. something; it D. nothing; it
27. Many people in the west make _____ a rule to buy Christmas presents for their relatives and friends.
A. this B. it C. that D. them
28. --- How about the price of these washing machines?
--- They are at least equal in price to, if not cheaper than, _____ at other stores .
A. others B． ones C． that D． those
29. --- Your tea looks nice.
--- It’s Longjing from Hangzhou. Would you like _____?
A． any B． little C． it D． some
30. --- What date is it?
--- It’s _____.
A. the June seven B. the seventh of June
C. seventh June D. the June seventh
31. Please wait here. I’ll be back in _____ hours.
A. two and half an B. two and a half
C. half and two D. two a half
32. Two _____ died of cold in that country last winter.
A. hundreds old people
B. hundreds of old people
C. hundred old people
D. hundred old peoples
33. Our teacher told us to write a _____ composition.
C. two thousands words
34. --- Would you like to try _____ time?
A. two B. second C. a two D. a second
35. Tom began to learn Russian by himself in _____.
A. the fifty B. the fifties
C. his fifties D. his fifty
36. Most English people have ______ names: _____ name, a middle name and the family name.
A. three; first B. three; a first
C. the three; the first D. the third; one first
37. The library in the school isn’t large. There are only _____ books in it.
A. six thousand, five hundred and forty-one
B. six thousands and five hundreds and forty-one
C. six thousands, five hundred forty and one
D. six thousand, five hundreds and fourth-one
38. _____ of the world’s books and newspapers are written in English.
A. Three quarter B. Three of quarters
C. Third fourths D. Three fourths
39. Parks are _____ of the few places where people in cities may have sports.
A. one B. first C. none D. those
40. There are not enough seats for the guests. We need _____ chairs.
A. three other B. another three
C. more three D. other three
1-5 CBCCD 6-10 CDABB 11-15 CBDCA 16-20 DBACD
21-25 BCCAD 26-30 CBDDB 31-35 BCADC 36-40 BADAB
1. be/lie north of...位于……以北。Harbin lies on the Songhuajiang River.哈尔滨位于松花江畔；on表示“相邻，紧挨”。
3. for fear of（sth./doing sth.）惟恐，以免。
4. give in to...向……屈服，让步。
5. off在离……的海上。又如：islands off the coast of Fujian福建沿海的岛屿。
6. name sb./sth. after sb.以……命名。
7. regardless of不顾，不管；in contrast with与……形成对比；in relation to关于；与……相比；on behalf of代表，为了……的利益。
8. with a break at midday为with的复合结构在句中作状语。
9. in spite of尽管，虽然。
10. 表示“同意计划、建议、安排等”多用agree to；表示“就……达成一致意见”应用agree on。board委员会，（政府机关或商业）部门。
12. make good use of好好利用；make great contributions to为……作出很大贡献。
13. at the mercy of完全受……支配，任由……摆布。
14. but for要不是。But for the English examination相当于If it had not been the English examination。
15. to one’s anger令……生气的是。
16. 根据后面的a third one可知前面应是两者。另外，注意此处为全部否定。
17. 搞清人物关系是解题的关键。此处责备的是你（Linda’s parent）和他（Jane’s parent）。
18. 此处用one表示泛指。keep looking继续找。
21. 此处表示泛指。some... others...一些……另一些……。
22. it 可用于某些动词（如：like, appreciate, hate等）之后，构成惯用法。
23. 由句中的no more than（仅仅）可知此空应用it, 指上一句提到的那本书。
26. something of 有点儿像。
28. if not cheaper than为插入语，相当于if they are not cheaper than those at other stores。
31. two and a half hours=two hours and a half两个半小时。
32. 基数词修饰hundred, thousand, million, billion, dozen, score等词，它们一般用单数形式。
33. two-thousand-word是复合形容词，意为“两千字的”。又如：a three-month-old son一个三个月大的儿子。
35. in one’s fifties在某人五十多岁时。另外，注意：in the 1990’s表示“在二十世纪90年代”。
36. first name（given name）是孩子出生时，父母给取的“名”；family name/surname是“姓”；middle name是某人的名和姓之间的另一名字。
38. 分数的表示方法是：分子用基数词，分母用序数词。当分子大于1时，分母要加s。注意以下一些特殊的分数形式：a/one half二分之一； a/one quarter四分之一；five and a half五又二分之一。
40. another three chairs=three more chairs（我们）还需要三把椅子。