1. --- How can I get to New York in three hours?
--- You can’t get there ______ by air.
A. more than B. other than
C. rather than D. less than
2. I didn’t even speak to him, ______ discuss your problems with him.
A. much more B. less C. more D. much less
3. --- How large is your city?
--- It’s ______ yours.
A. larger three times than
B. larger than three times
C. as three times large as
D. three times as large as
4. --- Is Mr. White out of danger?
--- No, ______ than before, I’m afraid.
A. no better B. a little better
C. not worse D. no worse
5. Mary’s biology is ______ than ______ in the class.
A. a lot of better; anyone else’s
B. far better; anyone’s else’s
C. much better; anyone else
D. a lot better; anyone else’s
6. --- The disease he suffers is not easy to cure.
--- I know, but is he ______ better?
A. much B. rather C. any D. little
7. He is more diligent than ______ in his class.
A. all the students B. anyone
C. any other student D. everyone
8. There was a ______ change in the weather, and the rain came pouring down.
A. quick B. slow C. fast D. sudden
9. You can speak ______ in front of him, but you can’t eat ______ in his restaurant.
A. freely; freely B. free; freely
C. freely; free D. free; free
10. Tom will not be at the picnic, ______ to the family’s disappointment.
A. much B. more C. too much D. much more
11. --- I have seen so little of Mike ______. Is he away on business?
--- Oh, no. He just leaves for his office early and comes back very ______.
A. later; lately B. later; later
C. lately; late D. late; lately
12. From his ______ voice on the phone I know everything is well under way.
A. satisfactory B. satisfying
C. satisfied D. satisfaction
13. --- He is ______ a brave man.
--- We can’t admire his courage ______.
A. actually; very much
B. indeed; too a lot
C. really; too much
D. truly; a bit
14. The Education Ministry suggests teachers should receive ______ education to catch up with the ______ development.
A. farther; late B. farther; later
C. further; lately D. further; latest
15. --- Why did she spend so much time searching shop after shop only for a blouse?
--- Oh, she was very ______ about her clothes.
A. pleased B. particular C. worried D. curious
16. I might fail, but ______ I insist on doing it. I don’t mind.
A. however B. anyhow C. yet D. meanwhile
17. --- Could you tell Lucy about the meeting when you see her?
--- Sure, I will ______ I see her .
A. certainly B. fortunately
C. probably D. immediately
18. There is a train at 11:30 and another one at 12:05; ______ train will take you to London in time for the meeting.
A. none B. every C. both D. either
19. His voice was quite ordinary, and not ______ angry.
A. a little B. very much
C. a bit D. plenty of
20. Oh, boy, why are you killing your time this way? Can’t you find something else ______ doing at all?
A. useful B. valuable C. worth D. good
21. --- Hi, I hear you’re going to World Park this weekend.
--- ______, I was going to, but I have changed my plans.
A. Usually B. Finally C. Actually D. Normally
22. --- Mum, we’ve got to be ______ and buy only what we need.
--- Oh, I’m glad to hear that.
A. practical B. content C. familiar D. actual
23. Mr. Smith was ______ with the boys who had picked flowers in his garden without his permission.
A. strict B. gentle C. delighted D. cross
24. --- If you’re free tonight, I’d like to invite you to a football match.
--- That’s nice of you, but are you ______?
A. rich B. careful C. serious D. true
25. Attention please, everybody! Please keep ______ for a moment. And let me take a photo.
A. calm B. still C. silent D. quiet
26. Good ways of doing things mean saving time, and ______ it is important for us to find them.
A. otherwise B. however C. besides D. therefore
27. Fred is second to none in maths in our class, but believe it or not, he ______ passed the last exam.
A. easily B. hardly C. actually D. successfully
28. --- How is your sister now?
--- She is not very ______ after her illness.
A. strong B. tough C. powerful D. healthy
29. It’s true that the old road is less direct and a bit longer. We won’t take the new one, ______, because we don’t feel as safe on it.
A. somehow B. though C. therefore D. otherwise
30. ______，more than 200 houses and buildings are heated by solar energy, not to mention the big cities.
A. Alone in the small town
B. In the small alone town
C. In the alone small town
D. In the small town alone
31. That night I felt especially tired and went to bed ______ earlier than usual.
A. quite B. rather C. fairly D. so
32. --- Doctor, have I got a bad cold?
--- Oh, there is not ______ with you.
A. anything wrong much
B. anything much wrong
C. much wrong anything
D. wrong much anything
33. --- She seems a ______ waitress.
--- Yes, each of us always feels ______ with her good manners and service.
A. pleased; pleased
B. pleasant; pleasant
C. pleased; pleasant
D. pleasant; pleased
34. Sending short messages by mobile phones has become a ______ way to send festival greetings in recent years in China.
A. welcome B. popular C. general D. simple
35. I think whoever makes ______ contributions to the company than others should get ______ income.
A. greater; the higher
B. more greater; a higher
C. greater; a higher
D. more greater; the highest
36. While tidying the room, Jim found the ______ toy bought for him as a birthday present.
A. fine plastic small
B. plastic fine small
C. small fine plastic
D. fine small plastic
37. People are encouraged to speak openly, but careless remarks are ______ to hurt others’feelings.
A. possible B. probable C. likely D. sure
38. --- The young man is good at a lot of things but you can’t say he is ______.
--- I agree with you. Actually no one is.
A. wonderful B. splendid C. perfect D. complete
39. It is ______ any wonder that his friend doesn’t like watching television much.
A. no B. such C. nearly D. hardly
40. The number of people present at the concert was ______ than expected. There were many tickets left.
A. much smaller B. much more
C. much larger D. many more
41. In ______ Chinese culture, marriage decisions were often made by parents for their children.
A. traditional B. historic C. peaceful D. civil
42. If the doctor had not been here yesterday, ______ babies would have died.
A. the all poor little
B. all the poor little
C. the poor all little
D. all the little poor
43. The traffic in the city was ______ today, so I got home earlier than usual.
A. hard B. weak C. heavy D. light
44. The houses in the village are ______ built of wood and hay.
A. most B. almost C. nearly D. mostly
45. --- What do people wear when they go to the theatre?
--- Well, it isn’t very ______. People can wear anything they like.
A. normal B. certain C. modern D. simple
1-5 BDDAD 6-10 CCDCA 11-15 CCCDB 16-20 BDDCC
21-25 CADCB 26-30 DBABD 31-35 BBDBC 36-40 DCCDA
1. other than与否定词（如：not, hardly等）连用，意为“只（能）是”。
2. much less更不用说。
4. no better than before和以前情况一样差。
5. far, a lot, much等都可修饰比较级，意为“……的多”。anyone else的所有格形式为anyone else’s。
6. ...is he any better?他好些了吗？
10. much可用于to one’s disappointment/surprise/joy...结构前，以加强语气。
12. 修饰人的嗓音、眼神、眼泪、叫声和表情等，常用过去分词。under way已经开始并进行着。
15. be particular about对……挑剔的、讲究的。
19. not a bit 一点也不；not a little非常；plenty of充足的，大量的，用于修饰名词。
20. something worth doing相当于something that is worth doing。
21. actually相当于in fact。
22. practical 实际的，符合情况的；actual真实的，实际的；content 满足的，满意的；familiar熟悉的。
23. 题意为“孩子们未经允许就在花园里摘花，史密斯先生很生气。” 句中 cross相当于angry。
25. keep still保持一动不动。calm 强调心情的平静；silent沉默，不讲话；quiet表示安静。
27. 句中second to none意为“第一的，无人能比的”，然后，根据转折连词but可知应填hardly。
31. very , too, quite, fairly 和so 一般不用来修饰比较级。
33. pleasant 意为“令人愉快的，讨人喜欢的”； pleased 指（人）满意的，高兴的。
34. a popular way 一种流行的、受欢迎的方式。
36. 多个形容词修饰同一名词时，其排列顺序为：限定词（如a, the, my, all等），描绘性形容词（如strong, beautiful, fine等），表示大小、长短、高低的形容词，表示年龄、新 旧、颜色的形容词，表示国家、地区、出处的形容词，表示构成事物材料的形容词（如wooden, glass等）+名词。
38. 题意为“虽然那个年轻人对众多事情都很精通，但他并不是完美无缺的”。perfect 完美的。
40. 数目（the number of...）应用大小来衡量（如：big, small和large）。