1. --- Jimmy came close to being killed in a traffic accident the other day.
--- ______? He was driving carefully all the time.
A. When B. What C. Pardon D. How
2. --- Do you think I can pass the test?
--- ______, I’m afraid.
A. Not a chance B. Of course
C. You can D. A little bit
3. --- Next Monday is my birthday.
--- Is that so? ______
--- Thank you.
A. I don’t believe so.
B. I’m so glad.
C. What presents do you need?
D. Many happy returns of the day!
4. --- Oh, must you? Stay a bit longer. ______.
--- Thanks anyway. I’ve got an early start tomorrow morning.
A. It’s been such fun having you
B. Maybe you can have supper here
C. It’s so pleasant to meet you
D. Let’s have another chat
5. --- May I ask a favour of you?
A. It’s my pleasure B. I’ve no time
C. Ask please D. Sure, go ahead
6. --- How would you like your tea?
A. Very quickly B. As it comes, please
C. Very much D. I don’t like tea
7. --- How’s it going, Joyce?
A. Oh, okay, I guess
B. Not doing wrong
C. Sorry, I’m not so good
D. Nothing, thanks
8. --- Ken telephoned you while you were out. He seemed worried about something.
--- No, he’ll call you later.
A. Will he call again
B. What’s it about
C. Should I call him back
D. Do you know for sure
9. --- Can I help you, sir?
A. Yes, you can help me
B. No, I don’t need any help
C. Of course, if you like
D. No, thanks, I’m being served
10. --- I think you should take more exercise every day if you want to keep fit.
A. Yes, OK
B. That’s all right
C. Thank you for your advice
D. It’s very kind of you to say so
11. --- Long time no see! You look well.
--- ______. You look fine, too.
A. Thanks B. Great C. Oh, no D. Not at all
12. --- I’m going to Beijing tomorrow. My plane leaves at 8:30 tomorrow morning.
A. Is that so--- B. How wonderful!
C. Have a good trip. D. Well, goodbye.
13. --- Don’t forget to post the letter for me, will you?
A. Maybe I will B. No, I won’t
C. Sorry, I don’t D. I suppose not
14. --- I hope you don’t mind my turning on the heater.
A. Never mind B. Yes, I won’t
C. That’s right D. Not in the least
15. --- Whose advice do you think I should take?
A. It’s up to you B. You speak
C. That’s it D. You got it
16. --- Did you go Dutch after that meal, I mean, with the other five friends?
A. Yes, they did
B. Yes, they paid for the meal
C. No, they didn’t
D. No, because it was my treat that day
17. --- Thank you for your CD-ROM. I’ll return it as soon as possible.
--- ______. I’ve got another one to spare.
A. No problem B. No hurry
C. Nothing much D. Be careful
18. --- I’m sorry I can’t go with you.
--- ______? Haven’t you agreed?
A. How’s that B. What is it
C. Why don’t you D. What do you think
19. --- Good afternoon, ______? The name is David Parks.
--- Two letters, sir, and a postcard.
A. is there any mail for me
B. could you post these letters for me
C. what can I do for you
D. is that John speaking
20. --- David, it’s Frank. Do you have a few minutes? I need to see you.
--- ______. But I hope “a few minutes” doesn’t turn into an hour.
A. I’m afraid not B. It doesn’t matter
C. I don’t think so D. I guess so
21. --- Have a good Women’s Day, mom.
--- Thanks. ______.
A. You’re welcome
B. That’s all right
C. It’s kind of you to say so
D. The same to you
22. --- Excuse me, ______?
--- That’s $35.76 altogether, madam.
A. how much is the meal we’ve had
B. but can I take your order
C. could I have the bill, please
D. would you please take the money
23. --- How is Tom?
A. He is a teacher
B. He is much better
C. He is like his father
D. He is twenty
24. --- I’d like to take a week’s holiday.
--- ______; we are too busy.
A. Don’t worry B. Don’t mention it
C. Forget it D. Pardon me
25. --- Excuse me.
--- Could you tell me how I can get to the First Department?
A. Pardon B. Why C. Yes D. Please
26. --- Do you mind if I smoke here---
A. No, please don’t
B. I’d rather you didn’t
C. I don’t want you to
D. I’m afraid I don’t
27. --- I’m sorry, but I can’t follow you. ______
--- OK, it’s B-L-A-C-K.
A. Would you please walk slowly?
B. I don’t understand you.
C. Would you please repeat it more slowly?
D. What’s the meaning of this word?
28. --- Wish you every success in the future.
A. Sure, I will
C. It’s not easy to do so
D. I’ll do my best
29. --- How did you find your visit to the museum, John?
A. By taking a No. 3 bus.
B. Oh, wonderful, indeed.
C. I went there alone.
D. A classmate of mine showed me the way.
30. --- Let’s go out for a drive tomorrow. We can take a picnic.
A. Yes, do please B. That’s OK
C. Good idea D. Many thanks
31. --- I’m going to join them in the game.
A. Have fun. B. I’m sure of it.
C. What a pity! D. Maybe you like it.
32. --- My daughter has passed the college entrance exam.
--- Congratulations! She is really intelligent.
A. No, no. She is nothing
B. Oh, thank you
C. Sometimes she is
D. The same to your daughter
33. --- Tom, it is careless of you to have left your key in the lock hole of your car.
--- ______ So I did. I might have my car stolen.
A. Thank you. B. I’m sorry.
C. My God! D. It doesn’t matter.
34. --- Could I use your bathroom?
--- Why, of course. Just ______.
A. be careful
B. make yourself at home
C. keep in mind
D. go upstairs
35. --- Thank God. It’s Friday again. A nice weekend.
A. The same to you B. Me too
C. That’s all right D. Yes, I’ll be free then
36. --- Excuse me, Miss, but may I share your table?
--- Of course. ______.
A. Not at all B. Be my guest
C. As you wish D. I don’t mind
37. --- Have a sweet dream.
A. Yes, I will
B. Thank you all the same
C. All right
D. You too
38. --- I’m too busy to go to the cinema with you, John.
--- ______ The film is said to be a very good one.
A. That’s all right. B. I’m so sorry.
C. What a shame! D. It’s too disappointing.
39. --- Do you still smoke?
--- ______. It’s two years since I smoked.
A. No, I don’t
B. Yes, I do
C. Not too much
D. Oh, yes, but I wish I didn’t
40. --- Let’s go shopping first and then go fishing tomorrow.
--- ______. I’ll pick you up at 9.
A. Well, I don’t know
B. You go yourself
C. That’s a good point
D. I’m afraid I don’t agree
41. --- Do you want to go out tonight?
--- ______; it’s up to you.
A. Yes, I want to B. That’s all right
C. I’m easy D. No problem
42. --- May I look at the menu for a little while?
--- Of course, ______, sir.
A. don’t worry B. it doesn’t matter
C. enjoy yourself D. take your time
43. --- Let’s go skating after school.
--- ______ Call for me at any time.
A. Wait a moment. B. Sounds good.
C. That depends. D. What for---
44. --- Lucy, my good friend died in an accident yesterday.
A. That’s all right B. Oh, well, that’s life
C. You’re lucky D. Don’t worry
45. --- Go for hiking this Saturday, OK?
--- ______. I like getting close to nature.
A. I couldn’t agree more
B. I believe not
C. I’m afraid not
D. I don’t think so
1-5 BADAD 6-10 BACDC 11-15 ACBDA 16-20 DBAAD
21-25 CCBCC 26-30 BCBBC 31-35 ABCBA 36-40 BDCAC
2. Not a chance! 没门儿！当然不行！
3. Many happy returns（of the day）! 为生日或节日时的祝词，意为“祝您长寿；祝你生日快乐”。此语多用于成人间的祝贺。
5. May I ask a favour of you? 请你帮个忙好吗？ Sure, go ahead!当然可以，说吧！
6. as it comes多用于指茶、咖啡等浓淡无所谓，随便。
11. Long time no see! 好久不见了。 You look well. 你看起来气色不错。
14. Not in the least.一点儿也不（介意）。
16. because it was my treat that day因为那天我请客。go Dutch各付各的帐，平摊费用。
17. (There’s) No hurry. 别急！别那么着急！
18. How’s that? 你说什么？
22. Could I have the bill, please?请结帐，好吗？Can I take your order?是饭店服务员的惯用语，意为“可以点菜了吗？”
24. forget it此处表示对某建议的否定，可译为“不行”。
29. How did you find your visit...?你觉得那次对……的参观怎么样？
36. Be my guest.请别客气；请随便好啦！常用于回答May I...或Can I... 这类表示请求的问句。
39. It’s two years since I smoked. 我已经有两年不吸烟了。
40. That’s a good point.表示同意对方的建议。
41. I’m easy. 我好说；我怎么都行。
44. That’s life.常用于安慰那些生活不如意、又想不通并抱消极态度的人，可译为“生活嘛，就是这样，难免发生这样那样的事。”也可以说Such is life.
45. I couldn’t agree more.我非常同意。